Sunday, August 2, 2020

After the V

The macro environment of the last few months from February to June only be only described as V shaped roller coaster ride. After the huge crash on 17 March, the markets recovered all the way to close to the recent high for major markets.

Despite plans made to deploy my funds, the main bulk of the purchases were actually made in early April to early May. Not really cheap. Just to make a note, these is the following deployment of my allocated funds:


  • March - 25%
  • April - 35%
  • May - 30%
  • June / July - 10%


I did not manage to catch absolute lows but still managed to come out having the portfolio at minor +-ve prior to July drop.

Keeping this short, as I didnt purchase in last 3 weeks of July except to increase stakes in ARKK and AIT reit.

I felt that two decisions which I made gave me boosted confidence of my judgement and assurance that I can "do it":


  • did not listen to "hot tips" and sell off everything in Feb. In hindsight i could have made money, but this will not give my the confidence booster i need.  Nothing is better than doing it yourself as the saying goes.
  • begun to establish position for the long term in ETF which i have been eyeing as well as purchasing several counters with marco enviroment view instead of stock metrics 
Currently, portfolio stands at breakeven... it was slightly up prior to the end July drops (-5% across for the week for major sti stocks). There are now discussions on 2nd wave induced drop, bad results.. but this should be factored in. I am looking to dispose MNACT due to deteriorating fundamentals of HK as a state, (should have done so at quick profit at 95c but that was when its situation wasnt so bad in June). Redeployment of  office reit shares to something that can survive in the future economy as I already have enough exposure to office buildings via AReit/ AIT . 

Looking forward for the next 4 months to end the year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merry X'mas and 2023 EOY report

 This is mainly for self accountability. From now until 2030 I will try to keep a yearly EOY summary of what went right or wrong for the yea...